Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Español es difícil

Blogger is localizing all of the text to spanish, which makes it a bit hit-and miss for us. Anyway, yesterday we got breakfast at a local cafe and Kae got the best steak and eggs in the universe.


She later confided that she didn't actually know what she was ordering beforehand. My breakfast was a stack of ham-and-cheese sandwiches with no crusts, which was ok but a little disappointing.














Afterwards we went on a long walk around the city; here are some pictures:















Gmail closed Kae's account so she has to use mine to post for now:

Hola!

What fun we're having!! Eating lots of steak and walking and walking and walking around. The city reminds me a lot of New York but cleaner. There are lots of huge, beautiful flowering trees and enormous willow trees.


We walked all the way to the waterfront where they are building new highrise condos. At 5:00pm though, we needed to get out of there because there was this car ferry that must have come from Uraguay and there was so much diesel traffic. The air got really bad. So we went back to our neighborhood (Le Recoleta) to get groceries. The name of the grocery store is "DISCO"


I can't wait to SHOP. This is so exciting for me because I don't like to shop in SF because it's so expensive. Everything here, most everything I should say, is 1/3 of the price for me. HEHEHEHE! I have had to hold back so far, and not blow all my cash at once.

We aren't organized yet. We're still just winging it, trying to figure out where we want to travel to in the country, what kinds of places around town to visit. One thing is for sure, I'm going to dance tango and buy shoes!

More to come, time to get out of the casa...

6 comments:

Catherine Cuellar said...

Enjoy that Argentina beef - it's the best in the world!
Here are my Spanish tips...they'll get you far. Vale (BAH-lay) means OK. Claro que si (KLAH-roh kay see) means clearly or "of course it is." Por supesto (Pour soo-PWES-toe) means "as it's supposed to be" or as it should be. These three affirmative phrases will allow you to fake your way through many a wine-fueled night.
Muy bien! Me gusta La Recoleta. I'm happy for you but sad that the journal I kept while I was in B.A. was stolen after I returned because I'm spacing on the names of places I want to recommend to you - but your tourist guides probably have them too. One is a neighborhood where all the buildings are painted in super-bright colors (La Boca?). The other is a super-old and cool historic cafe (I believe Che had coffee there)-- if I find out its name I'll let you know.

jhames said...

You two need to bust out the Español more! How else are you going to perfect your language skills for haggling with the local shops?

FK: SCOUR the city high and low for all things 4AD. If the prices are as good as you say they are... Hit it!

Dan said...

OK, who wrote this: "One thing is for sure, I'm going to dance tango and buy shoes!"

Joe said...

Guess the vegitarian Ben wouldn't have done so well.

Joe

Jen/Mom said...

Sounds and looks GREAT. Wish I were there! Oh, those flowering trees, those cafes, and walking and walking. It is sooo hard to get motivated to walk in W. Lafayette.

I just made a google account: hope this posts now.

Love,
Jen/Mom

Jen/Mom said...

Yea, It worked.